The Development of Sidney Sussex Cleethorpes Construction of a White Beacon to aid shipping (at the end of Popular Road) In case of a French Invasion, a volunteer rifle force was formed and a battery cannons was installed, situated upon the foreshore at the end of what is now Suggitt’s Lane (The Second Italian War of Independence). Train track officially opened, and the first Railway Station was erected (at the end of Princes Road). A Coastguard Station was established near the Beaconthorpe hamlet. It was manned by a chief officer and four men. The Cleethorpes Gas Company constructed their Gas Works in the area with the supply of gas starting in April 1864. The White Beacon was taken down. Cleethorpes Police Station was first established to keep the peace. It accommodated a sergeant and four constables. Work commenced at Chapman’s Brick Pit. Water mains started to be laid, water previously obtained from wells. The present train station was built as part of an extension plan. Tram tracks were extended along Grimsby Road from Park Street to Popular Road. Remodelling of the train track creating 6 platforms and 2 carriage sidings. A new large signal box was built at the end of what is now Suggitt’s Lane. The layout also included a turntable at the rear of the signal box. Beaconthorpe Methodist Church started with a ‘Mission Hall’ on Grimsby Road. The Magnificent Clee Park Hotel was built, quickly becoming a landmark on its corner site. The foundation stone of Barcroft County School was laid on 7th January and the school was opened in September. A Tram Depot was built down Pelham Road. August 31st saw the foundation stone laid for the building of St Aidan’s Church Hall on Blundell Avenue. The gradient of Isaac’s Hill was eased for an extension of the Tram line. August 31st saw the foundation stone laid for the building of St Aidan’s Church Hall on Blundell Avenue. A wooden building was erected on Grant Street to house a Circus known as the ‘Grand Circus’. J.H. Alcock paid £7500 to Sidney Sussex College for 7.25 acres of land to build a The Imperial Hotel and Blundell Park Football Stadium. The Foundation stone was laid for a new Methodist Chapel in Lovett Street. Quality detached housing reached Daubney Street. The first electric Tram took to Grimsby Road at 6:15am on Saturday 7th December 1901. The technical Institute opened on Isaac’s Hill. Proposed additions to the Police Station on Grant Street, Cleethorpes. Drawn by James Thropp, County Surveyor, Lincoln, 13th February 1901 The local Circus building was renamed ‘The Hippodrome’ and became a Variety Theatre. The Warwick Tower opened for business (North Promenade). The Imperial Hotel ‘The Imp’ was built on Grimsby Road Opening of Sidney Park on 4th August 1904. The Bethel Mission Chapel opened in Tiverton Street. November saw the opening of Cleethorpes Fire Station on Poplar Road. A water spring broke out at the bottom of Chapman’s Brick Pit. Saw the opening of the new St Aidan’s Church. The old one in Blundell Avenue became known as the ‘institute’ housing the Sunday School. Elliston Street School opened. Water Tower was built in Pelham Road. Christ Church Mission Hall is opened. Wonderland was developed on the North Promenade. A wooden building known as The Royal Kinema was built in Grant Street. The outbreak of the First World War. Reynolds Street School was opened. The Coliseum opened its doors on Saturday 30th May. The Royal Kinema was requisitioned by the Army and used as a billet by the Manchester Regiment who were detailed to guard our coastlines. The St Aidan’s Church Hall was used as a Red Cross Hospital to treat injured soldiers. Chapman’s Brick Pit ordered to close because lights from the kilns were attracting attention from German Zeppelins. The engines were stopped and the pit filed with water from the natural spring, becoming Chapman’s Pond. Barcroft School was occupied by the military and pupils sent to other schools. End of the First World War. Sidney Sussex College donated 14 acres for Sussex Recreation Ground Jawbones of a whale presented to Cleethorpes Council to later form an impressive archway at Sidney Park. The Hippodrome burnt down whilst showing a film that ironically was called ‘The Vital Spark’. The first Roman Catholic Church in Cleethorpes was built, known as Corpus Christi Catholic Church. Beaconthorpe Methodist Church Sunday School was built on Tennyson Road. Cleethorpes Became a Municipal Borough Cleethorpes became a Municipal Borough. Trolleybuses replaced Trams on 18th July. 31st July saw the opening of The Ritz – a single screen cinema, holding a capacity of 1450 people. An Art Deco Electricity Showroom was built at the bottom of Isaac’s Hill. Second World War was declared. The first air aid warning alarm was on 19th June, lasting 4 hours. 22nd June saw the closure of all schools for the purpose of building air raid shelters. The first bombs were dropped in the area on February 27th. Soldiers arrived and stationed their vehicles in Sidney Park, waiting to go to war. (D-Day beaches of Normandy). The North Sea Surge broke the sea defences, flooding the area, causing great damage. The Cleethorpes Memorial Hall opened on Wednesday 26th October. All the land along Grimsby Road was now completely full. The Royal Kinema closed for demolishing on Saturday 19th July, to be replaced with a 10 pin bowling alley. The gas holder at the bottom of Tennyson Road was demolished. The 10 pin bowling alley closed to be re-opened as Bunny’s Night Club. Saw the end of the big dipper at Wonderland (North Promenade). Bunny’s Night Club turned into Clifton’s Bingo Hall. Clifton Bingo Hall destroyed by a mysterious fire. The final curtain closed for the Ritz Cinema on 10th September. The Sharpening Stone became Grade Two Listed Building of a new clock tower with four faces at the Train Station, now Grade Two listed Barcroft Junior School closed and a new School was built in Barnett Place called William Barcroft Junior School. The Ritz Cinema Site became occupied by a McDonalds fast food restaurant. The Corpus Christi Roman Catholic Church built to replace the old church building, which had to be demolished due to problems with its foundations.