In 1834, at the end of what is now Poplar road, was built a Beacon to aid shipping. This was constructed by the Admiralty and was built of huge timbers to resist the fierce storms that sometimes sweep down on our coast.
The central section was surmounted by a hexagonal cage and, at the time, the entire structure cost £300.
It was erected in an excellent position as on the landward side was merely a huge common. As the structure was large and white, it was easily visible to passing shipping and formed an excellent landmark for inland travellers.
Four houses were originally built close by, so it is hardly surprising that this small hamlet became the Thorpe at Beacon or simply Beaconthorpe.
During the next 20 years this area grew slowly and in 1858 became the site of a coastguard station with extra housing being built for six men and their families, with another for the Chief boatman.
Then through the area came the railway, with the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company (afterwards the Great Central Railway) building a single line from Grimsby Docks to Cleethorpes, with the branch complete with station, opening in April 1863.
Within the next 12 months the Cleethorpes Gas Company constructed their Gas Works in the area with the supply of gas starting in April 1864. Now a land market quickly grew up with smaller land owners in the area selling freehold land for building. By the 1870’s, such companies such as the Beaconthorpe Freehold Building Company were hard at work.
The White Beacon itself, was taken down in 1864, but of course, the name ‘Beaconthorpe’ is used to this day.
You must log in to post a comment.