Main Menu

Candle safety: Snuff out the risk says Humberside Fire Service

In support of Candle Safety Week (19 -25 November) Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is asking people to take extra care when using candles. Over the last twelve months the Service has attended seven house fires that were caused when candles were left unattended.

Steve Duffield, Community Safety Manager at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Although we don’t attend a high number of fires caused by candles, they do pose a risk if not used properly and it’s important highlight the potential dangers.” As the winter nights draw in and the festive season approaches, the use of candles in the home increases. “If an unattended candle catches fire it can develop very quickly and have a devastating effect. Using a proper candle holder is imperative, if tea lights are not placed in suitable holders they can over heat and catch fire in seconds,” Steve added. To help you enjoy your candles safely, follow these top tips: Never leave candles unattended always put them out when you leave the room Always place candles on a stable surface and in a heat resistant holder Place candles out of the reach of children and pets Place candles away from flammable objects (like curtains) Don’t place candles directly on to furniture or around the bath, always place them in a suitable holder Residents are reminded to fit smoke alarms on each level of their home and test them regularly. Should a fire break out, a working smoke alarm can give valuable time to escape.